Barragan House. Photo: Wikimedia Commons
Mextrópoli will be celebrating its 10th edition at CDMX next September, here are all the details so you can get started.
Mixtropolis She turns 10 in 2023 and to celebrate Recreation will be included House of the famous architect Luis Barragan in public places.
She will have too amenities From three award-winning architecture offices, in addition to its already popular offices conferencesExhibitions, dialogues and with VIP guests from contemporary architecture.
This is a call for architecture professionals, amateurs, or the curious Chilangu who want to have fun and learn more about the city and the architectural possibilities it offers.
What is Mixtropolis?
for 10 years, Architecture and City Festival Mekstropoli It has positioned itself as an event stimulating and facilitating event I thought of the city. As for the festival, contemplation of the city is also celebrated, given its architectural and citizenship-building potential.
For this edition, Mextropoli will have a file A new venue for your conferenceswill now be held in main room Palace of Fine Arts. A platform where ideas can be discussed with reference voices.
Some of the personalities who will be speaking on this topic are:
- Next to you, Engelsthe founding Danish architect of BIG with whom he has implemented projects such as Superkilen Park and the 8 House housing complex in Denmark, as well as the Sluishuis building in Amestdarm.
- Kyuzu Sejimathe founding architect of SANAA, a firm that has implemented projects such as the Pavilion for the Serpentine Gallery in 2009, Grace Farms in the US, and the New Tsuruoka Cultural Hall, among others.
- Wang Shu and Lu Wenyufounders of the Amateur Architecture Studio Office, who will present their ideas for architecture that responds to an environment where systematic demolition overrides traditional building techniques.
- Thom Maynean American architect and founder of the SCI-Arc School in Los Angeles, a cutting-edge academic discipline, and founder of Morphosis Architects.
- Salvador slowlyDirector of the Urban Environment Agency.
- Jayden AliBritish architect.
- organizedColumbian Architecture Bureau.
- Case study 89: an exhibition on the Mexican Pavilion presented in one of the most important architectural events.
- Future LabCurated by APRDELESP and art historian Marianna Botti, it is an investigation of basketball courts located in rural and peripheral areas, to view them as an area of tensions, but also of agreements.
- EU Mies van de Rohe: an exhibition at the Centro Cultural España presenting 40 projects selected by the jury for the Biennale Prize for
European Union Contemporary Architecture – Mies van der Rohe Prize.
- Water ways: La cabina de la curiosidad, an Ecuadorian study exhibition, which consists of a series of hand-drawn sketches of hydrographic basins that propose a conscious assimilation of the natural wealth of our lands.
- air walls: an exhibition that takes as its starting point the Brazilian pavilion of the Biennale
Venice 2018 which seeks to analyze, through measures of boundary,
Territory, city and building, in responses to what “free” means.
enter the public space
As it does every year, Mextropoli will continue Celebration in public Through discussion tables involving architects, urban planners and decision-makers, architectural routes through the city and well-known pavilions that are installed outdoors.
In this sense, one of the most interesting will be Arquine Competition No. 25 winning piece titled “the outside place” which will be installed in Central Mall.
Designed by Alvaro Martin Morales Reyes (durango), Manuel Alejandro Aleman Rocha (Mexico City) and Ruben Alder Bermudez Martinez (Seville, Spain), the pavilion proposes a gesture to insert it into the public space Casa Barragán balconythe only headquarters in Mexico declared by UNESCO as The global heritage.
Removing context is the starting point for series of questions On heritage: How does the idea of a “world heritage” work if it is inaccessible, either because of the high cost of visits or because it is cut off from its urban context? Does architecture continue to evoke emotions
Who visits it if it is appreciated in a different setting?
When is Mixtropoli 2023?
Mextropoli Festival of Architecture and City will be held from From September 22 to 25, 2023 At different points of the CDMX, some are the main hall of the Palace of Fine Arts, the Spanish Cultural Center and the Alameda Central.
If you’re looking for what to do in CDMX, sign up for our newsletter.
“Future teen idol. Hardcore twitter trailblazer. Infuriatingly humble travel evangelist.”