How to use Signal from the start and what options it offers
You can tell Signal is on file safety The strongest point. So much so that his protocol End-to-end encryption of messages It is used by WhatsApp itself.
Before proceeding to describe the functionality that Signal provides to the user, we will know more about the app in its basic sense.
What is Signal?
Signal is a recently built app that is around six years old. And although many users are starting to recognize it now, we have had news about it for a long time. Characters like Edward Snowden, Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey a Elon Musk They are taking advantage of him and openly recommending him for his high security capabilities.
This messaging app is trying to become a substitute for WhatsApp and Telegram, their two most direct competitors. Attractiveness and design are not among its advantages, but it does offer several guarantees regarding Privacy From your conversations. it’s a Free It is available for mobile phones with operating systems Male in appearance e iOS. It also has a desktop version of Windows and Mac s Linux.
It is called the protocol it uses to encode it Whispers Open Systems. This mechanism prevents any data from being shared from the conversation, not even with the company that will not be able to read your messages. Signal also does not store data about users on its servers, as it remains on the device. Finally, in this application we will not find any kind of ads. In short, it is an intuitive, easy-to-use, and very safe alternative.
How does Signal work
Firstly, Signal has a very similar usage for WhatsApp and Telegram. So, if you defend yourself well with both, this app shouldn’t cause you big problems.
The application is available at no cost at Apple StoreAnd also in the store Google apps. Once you have it on your device, you just have to turn it on. Initially, you will need to accept its license and provide it with the appropriate permissions to access your contacts and send notifications.
- You must then enter a file Telephone number And confirm it. The next step is to click The recorder.
- Your phone will receive a file short message With a personal verification code. You will have to open the message and manually enter it into the app. However, the code can also be detected and completed automatically.
- If you didn’t receive this short message, you can request one Verification call. When the counter reaches zero, tap To connect a I haven’t received any code. Then choose the option Receive a call with the code.
Edit your user profile
As with the rest of the pattern apps, you must include a name to identify yourself as a user, as well as a profile picture. Also, you can set a number pin Of security. This way, your Signal account will be encrypted inside the servers. If you have installed the app on other devices, with this PIN you can recover your account as well as your profile, conversations and other data.
- With the application open, go to Settings Of the reference.
- You can amend your information by clicking on your name, picture or the number associated with it.
- The name is mandatory, whether it is a real, a nickname, or even an emoji.
- Where Add to profile / CVYou can add a brief description of yourself if you wish.
- When you have edited all the options that you deem appropriate, it is time to present them keep.
In the rest, as we have indicated, Signal works practically the same as other pattern implementations. Contacts who use this program will be revealed and appear in the list, with the ability to create any type of file with them.
- From the blue pencil icon (new message)In this case, you will have access to your contact book.
- As in other apps, at the end there is a text entry field. Well send both messages and attachments.
- Signal also allows two types of messages.
- The Signal message It allows you to communicate with another user of the application in a safe way.
- The Unencrypted message (SMS or MMS) It will appear when you are talking to someone in an insecure manner through your phone plan.
It will mark by symbol, either blue (secure message) or gray (unsafe message). To switch from one to the other, you must Install it Symbol for a long time. Logically, if the other user does not have Signal, you will not be able to exchange encrypted messages with them.
Voice or video calls
Like messaging, Signal’s voice or video calls are also private. The first time you do one, you will have to grant camera and microphone permissions.
- To get started, when you are on your agenda and have chosen the contact, click the icon Telephone For a voice call.
- On the other hand, if you prefer a video call, you will have to click on the logo in the form of a file Camera.
- In this case, you can show or hide your video by clicking on the lower icons, and also mute the microphone, adjust the volume, rotate the camera, or disconnect the connection.
- Another option available is these conference calls, both audio and video.
- When in a group chat, go to the camera icon on the top menu and tap on it.
- Select now Initiate a call a Join the call.
- All group participants will receive a notification. Additionally, this will be reflected in the group chat history.
Signal also allows creating group chats to host multi-user chats.
- Inside the app, tap the pencil icon and select New Group.
- Now you will have to choose all the contacts that you want to include in the chat.
- Click on the next arrow and you will have to select the type of group. There are three available.
- MMS group: Not secure and for contacts without Signal. Messages will be exchanged through the phone plan with a maximum of 10 participants.
- Old group: Messages can be exchanged safely. By clicking on “Learn more”, you will be able to find out which contacts need to update Signal.
- New Group: It is only available for users who have updated the app on their cell phone. The connection here is also private and it provides options to sign @ and delete secure messages and invitations by QR code etc.
“Pop culture advocate. Troublemaker. Friendly student. Proud problem solver.”