Windows 11S is a mode of the Microsoft system that significantly limits your PC for security. Here we tell you all about it.
We’ll explain What is Windows 11S (or Windows 11 in S mode). But in this guide you will find not only theoretical information. It also happens in other similar articles, like the one we told you about How to install windows 11 from scratch okay Download windows 11 freeHere are the steps to get out of S mode on your computer.
Read on to learn more about Windows 11S and its limitations, as well as instructions for Remove this mod from your device And start enjoying the normal version of the operating system.
What is Windows 11S or S mode in Windows 11?
Windows 11S is a variant of Windows 11 that has some notable limitations. According to the company itself, Literala “An edition of Windows 11 that’s optimized for security and performance, while delivering a familiar Windows experience“.
How does Microsoft intend to achieve this hypothesis? as they comment, to increase security, [Windows 11S] Only supports apps from the Microsoft Store and requires Microsoft Edge for safe browsing. “.
This explanation already allows you to see what a S mode in Windows 11. However, allow us to tell you all its advantages and disadvantages.
Windows 11S features
The benefits of Windows 11S are as follows:
- Resource optimization. Apparently, this is a slightly lighter variant that works well on computers with limited resources.
- Greater security. The fact that no application can be installed from outside the Store is a way to protect the system from viruses or other malware. It is clear that with such severe restrictions, the entry of malware is complicated, although, as we will explain a little later, this does not mean that the system is completely secure.
- Simplicity of use. The third advantage of S mode in Windows 11 is that the system is a bit easier to use. All tasks go through the default browser and the App Store. It’s a similar user experience to what Apple proposes on its iOS devices (despite the fact that Apple has gradually opened up these devices).
Disadvantages of Windows 11S
The downside of Windows 11S is this:
- lack of freedom. For example, the user does not have the ability to change an application as basic as the default browser. Of course, if a browser is published in the Microsoft Store, it can be installed. This is the case with Mozilla Firefox. In addition, if a user wants to purchase software, they must always do so through the Microsoft Store and not with an alternative method that benefits the developer more.
- Software quality is poor in the Microsoft Store. Limiting downloading apps to the Microsoft Store is a serious limitation of Windows 11S. The overall quality of the applications in this repository leaves much to be desired, as the programs replace other programs and very poor tools.
- Limitations on third party services. Windows 11S prioritizes Microsoft services. If you are a Google platform user, you will not be able to take advantage of the integration with Chrome. Or, if you have your files in Dropbox, you won’t be able to download its sync client.
Is S mode safe in Windows 11?
We’ve already given some other brushstrokes regarding the security that Windows 11S offers. The bottom line is that it provides it in terms of protection, it is neither too much nor too little. We explain ourselves.
Windows 11S limits the implementation of apps outside of the Microsoft Store, but this is not always an absolute guarantee that your computer will not be in danger. There are several reasons to believe this:
- Viruses can enter by various means. Malware can infect a computer by browsing the web or by opening an email attachment. Browsing the Internet and opening email are both legitimate tasks that S mode allows.
- This isn’t the first time malware has infiltrated the App Store. Having all software come from the Microsoft Store is not synonymous with superior security either. This wouldn’t be the first or last time that malware has been uploaded to a supposedly reliable repository.
- There are other types of attacks Windows 11S doesn’t protect you from. Viruses no longer matter when social engineering can be used to deceive staff and students. Ransomware attacks are the best example, since data theft almost always happens due to user deception, Windows 11S won’t save you from it.
In short, Windows 11S offers an additional advantage in security, given its limitations, the most natural thing is that it does not compensate you at all.
How to exit Windows 11S or turn off S mode on your PC
With all the limitations that we revealed in the previous section, if a Windows 11S device arrived in your hands, it is only natural that You want to remove all these restrictions imposed by Microsoft. Is it possible to get out of Windows S mode? Yes, but before explaining how to do this, it is appropriate to provide a clarification.
What we are about to explain to you is an irreversible process. This means that once S mode is disabled, there is no way to go back into it. This actually shouldn’t be a problem. Why do we say that?
Why You can always apply S mode restrictions yourself. That is, you are free to take advantage of the full version of Windows 11 by only running applications from the Store or limiting Internet browsing to Microsoft Edge. The difference is that, in this case, you are in control and have the possibility to waive at any time.
Well, now that you’ve qualified for this, it’s time to find out what you should do Exit S mode in Windows 11. Well, the truth is that it is very easy to say goodbye to the set of restrictions imposed by Windows 11S. This is done as follows:
- Open Windows Settings.
- Visit the section activationinside System.
- Click the dropdown menu S mode.
- Click Open the store.
- When the App Store opens, tap Obtains.
- Wait for the changes to be applied.
- By the time you get the message everything is ready! This means that S mode is gone.
From now on, your computer supports apps downloaded from sources outside the Microsoft Store and using browsers other than Microsoft Edge.
“Pop culture advocate. Troublemaker. Friendly student. Proud problem solver.”