Nothing says the summer than getting out on the open ocean or even enjoying time at the beach or around an inland lake.
Whether you are planning a staycation or looking for more exotic climes, the water is a draw for families, couples and individuals who are looking for excitement and relaxation in equal measures.
There are so many ways that you can enjoy the water while you are on holiday, from seeking out a pristine lake or river or heading for the beach. Taking a holiday trip onboard a boat is a next-level experience that can include island-hopping, city exploring, and dolphin watching.
If you want to get on the water this summer for an unforgettable holiday, you’ll find all you need to know about making the most of your experience here.
Whether it is a calm lake, a glassy ocean, or a serene river, the water that looks safe, beautiful, and awe-inspiring can have hidden dangers. Even if you know you are a strong swimmer and have experience in open water, make sure that you stay safe.
Keep an eye on water temperature, weather, current and tidal flow, use the right equipment when needed (like a wetsuit for diving or colder water) and ensure that there is always someone with you who can call for help if there is a problem.
Even on popular beaches, there are rules that you should follow when it comes to safer swimming – look out for lifeguards and swim between the flags.
Always a popular destination, beaches offer so many ways to enjoy the summer weather. Aside from the usual opportunity for sunbathing and relaxing, there are so many other things that you can do while you are there.
- Spend time on the boardwalk or the pier: if you need a break from the sunshine or need some excitement, then the arcades, rides and shops on the pier or boardwalk offer welcome respite and a lot of fun.
- Play games: Frisbee, catch, volleyball and other games are even more fun on the beach and even in the shallows of the ocean. Make sure that there is enough space to play without interrupting the enjoyment of other people though!
- Build sandcastles: This might seem like an activity most suitable for younger children, but making sandcastles is a simple pleasure that adults can enjoy.
- Fishing, crabbing, rock pooling: Beaches aren’t always sandy, and rock pools are an excellent place to get close to marine life – and you can also fish (where allowed) and go crabbing too.
- Learn to surf: You can get surfing lessons at beaches across the world, and surfing can be as simple as bodyboarding or full on riding the waves.
A beach holiday can be better – why not charter a boat and get out on the open ocean?
You can choose to hire the entire boat, sail it yourself and be in full control of everything that happens. The trip could be a couple of hours long, just out and back, or charter it for longer so you can really get out and explore.
Another option, for a really relaxed holiday, is to charter a yacht with a captain. This takes the pressure of having to navigate from you, and lets you focus on really enjoying the world around you.
Utilising a boat rental company like Borrowaboat, you can choose to charter a yacht in one of hundreds of locations, so whether you want to explore the coast of Scotland, spot dolphins in the Indian ocean, or go island-hopping a boat is the perfect way to get out on the water.
What better way to get the best of being on the water and getting some sightseeing in than going island hopping? In the right place, you can find beautiful countryside, exotic animals, cultural differences, and once-in-a-lifetime experiences.
So, if this sounds like the perfect way for you to get on the water this summer, here are a few locations that you can choose from.
- Cyclades in the Aegean Sea: This collection of 56 islands off the southeast coast of mainland Greece includes the obvious tourist destinations of Mykonos and Santorini, but also lesser-known spots for exploration. You can find naturally occurring hot springs, hike around archaeological ruins and take in the relaxed Greek culture.
- Okinawa in the East China Sea: 160 islands near Japan, which are not anything like the Japanese mainland. Think white sand and turquoise waters, perfect for diving and whale watching and you can explore the subtropical terrain with some jungle hiking too.
- Azores in the mid-Atlantic: Almost untouched by developments in the last 70 years or so, the Azores is a collection of nine volcanic islands full of lakes and craters. While hiking and canyoning offer the best views of the waterfalls and mountains, you can also explore the stunning vineyards and the whitewashed cottages in the villages.
Find Your Perfect Ocean Trip Online
At BorrowABoat, it couldn’t be easier to book your perfect holiday on the water.
Simply choose where you want to go, how long for, and the type of charter that would make the most of the type of holiday that you want. With flexibility comes the opportunity to make the most of a relaxing holiday on the water, making the most of the beaches, island hopping, or just sunning yourself on crystal clear, calm oceans.
“Pop culture advocate. Troublemaker. Friendly student. Proud problem solver.”