Amir Khan KOs Judah in unification bout

Amir Khan KOs Judah in unification bout

BRITAIN‘S Amir Khan captured the International Boxing Federation’s light welterweight title with a dominating fifth-round knockout of Zab Judah.

Khan on Saturday hit Judah with hard right hand in the midsection and the American veteran crumpled to the canvas at 2:47 of the fifth round of the 140-pound unification bout at the Mandalay Bay hotel and casino.

“I am beating everyone. Bring on the next challenge,” Khan said.

The 24-year-old Khan already owned the World Boxing Association light welterweight belt, and now adds Judah’s IBF title to his resume.

Judah, who was a 5-1 underdog, stayed down on his knees as referee Vic Drakulich counted him out.

The 33-year-old Judah acted surprised when Drakulich stopped the fight as his record dropped to 41-7 with 28 KOs.

Khan dominated Judah who was bleeding from his nose and cuts to his face at the beginning of the final round.

Olympic silver medalist Khan, 24, raised his record to 26-1, 18 KOs as he landed three times more punches, 61-20.

Khan, who is trained by world-renowned boxing guru Freddie Roach, said they had the perfect game plan.

“We trained hard. Freddie Roach is the doctor,” Khan said. “He gave me a game plan that worked because every punch I threw was hitting him on the chin.

“We knew Zab would be tricky. We wanted to be one step ahead of him. We slowly took the backhand away from him and as soon I did that all my shots were hitting him. I was not tired, I was pacing myself.”

Evans’ home state celebrates Tour de France win

Evans’ home state celebrates Tour de France win MELBOURNE, Australia — Residents of Cadel Evans’ home state Victoria have been urged to wear yellow to work Monday to celebrate the Australian’s Tour de France victory. Premier Ted Baillieu said all Victorians would want to celebrate the achievement of Evans, who lives part of the year […]

NGP Iloilo partners with ART

NGP Iloilo partners with ART By: Jaime S. Cabag Jr. THE National Greening Program (NGP) of the national government has found a partner in the ART of greening Iloilo. ART, acronym for Action for Re-greening and Transformation, is a one month old program that is part of Iloilo’s reforestation efforts which serve as its contribution […]

5,000 OFWs from Bac may lose jobs in Saudi

5,000 OFWs from Bac may lose jobs in Saudi By: Dolly Yasa BACOLOD City – Mayor Evelio Leonardia said that the city government is bracing for Saudization which threatens to displace about 5,000 Overseas Filipino Workers from this city. Leonardia said that a significant number of these OFWs are working in Saudi Arabia and may […]

Alvarez mulls suit over STL money

Alvarez mulls suit

over STL money

By: Dolly Yasa

BACOLOD City – Negros Occidental vice governor Genaro “Lim-ao” Alvarez yesterday said that he will consult his legal counsel on his plan to file cases against those who linked his name to purported shares from the Small Town Lottery proceeds.


Stressing that he doesn’t know any numbers game, Alvarez urged police authorities to lick illegal gambling activities in southern Negros particularly in the 6th district.

 

Alvarez denied having received any money from the STL operations while still a congressman.


“I would like to investigate who got my share because I have not received even a single centavo from STL,” Alvarez said.


Alvarez’s name was mentioned as among the 54 congressmen in 27 provinces across the country who benefited from the controversial STL. His name came out in last week’s hearing of the Senate Blue Ribbon committee.


Alvarez completed his three terms as congressman of the 6th District prior to his election as vice governor in the 2010 elections.


PCSO director Aleta Tolentino, in her testimony, revealed that STL operators directly remit to congressmen their shares of the STL sales representing 2.25 percent of net proceeds from the area where they operate.

Army, PNP on full alert today for SONA

  Army, PNP on full alert today for SONA By: Dolly Yasa BACOLOD City – Police and Army forces in the province just like their counterpart in Metro Manila are on alert to pre-empt spill over of possible terroristic activities in connection to the State of the Nation Address of President Benigno Aquino III today […]

COA seeks MARINA 6 report on P3.7-M worth of ‘Seafarer’s Book’

COA seeks MARINA 6 report on

P3.7-M worth of ‘Seafarer’s Book’

By: Florence F. Hibionada

OVER P3.7 million worth of “Seafarer’s Book” issued by the Maritime Industry Authority (MARINA) Regional Office 6 is being questioned by state auditors. While at it, collections reaching P353,399.37 discovered to have not been deposited intact further awaits official explanation.

Said discoveries were among the 18 findings that summed up the latest Annual Audit Report (AAR) made by the Commission on Audit (COA) on said agency.

The questioned transactions formed part the 2010 operations of MARINA scrutinized and validated by the COA.

Actual amount on the issue surrounding the region’s “Seafarer’s Book” issuance is P3,759,067.93. Three other regions had similar problems. However, MARINA Western Visayas office topped the “unsubstantiated inventory balance” report. This, as COA took note of MARINA’s accountable forms and inventory account which when audited had nothing to validate from said regional office.

To date, total “Unsubstantiated Inventory Balance” reached P4,836,351.17 with MARINA 6 with the biggest in liability followed by Region 7 at P841,370.52 and Regions 1 and 2 with total of P235,912.72.

COA noted how MARINA 6 had no Report of Accountability for Accountable Forms (RAAF) prepared “particularly for the Seafarer’s Identification and Record Book.”

SONA moments in history

CRITICS and supporters alike are now bracing for President Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III’s second State of the Nation Address. While it could be expected of Aquino to hit the former administration, we could only guess its content—Malacañang said it is making sure his speech won’t be leaked ahead of July 25.

But this we are sure of: just like last year, Aquino will deliver his speech in Filipino, a Palace official said.


SONA tidbits

The SONA event is not just a yearly tradition or a political-glam affair where First Ladies get to showcase their expensive terno gowns.

Rather, it is a mandated event, as stipulated in the Article VII, Section 23 of the 1987 Constitution to allow the sitting President give updates, through addressing the Congress, on what has been done and what should be achieved. SONA is held every last Monday of July.

Since 1936, at least 71 SONA speeches have already been delivered, with Manuel L. Quezon giving out the first.

Former President Ferdinand Marcos holds the record of the most number of SONAs conveyed, for he was in power for two decades. He had 20 SONA speeches.

Former President and now Pampanga Representative Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo came in second with nine speeches.

The country’s fourth president, Sergio Osmeña gave out only one SONA speech. He is followed by former President Joseph Estrada who was able to deliver only three before he was ousted in 2001.