8 bets want to be Roxas City mayor

By: Felipe V. Celino  ROXAS CITY, CAPIZ – Eight persons want to be mayor of Roxas City in the 2019 midterm elections. Also, three bets are running for vice mayor and 32 are vying for one of the 10 seats of the Sanggunian Panlungsod (SP). The first to file his certificate of candidacy (COC) on Oct […]

SALCEDO RAIDS: Cops release lady mayor, Ricky’s live-in partner

After deliberation with its legal team and some state prosecutors, the Iloilo Police Provincial Office (IPPO) has decided not to pursue charges against Mayor Ermelita Salcedo of Sara and the 16-year old live-in partner of slain Nerio “Ricky” Salcedo. Senior Superintendent Marlon Tayaba, Iloilo police chief, said Mayor Salcedo was released from police custody late […]

Retired cop nabbed for extortion

EVER wonder why fares for roll on-roll off (Ro-Ro) buses have been steep lately? It appears that bus companies pay some thugs for peaceful passage to some areas in Iloilo province. At around 8 a.m. of Oct. 18, 2018, a retired policeman was arrested for allegedly extorting a Ceres Bus plying the Estancia – Cubao route. Francisco […]

Legarda files COC for Antique congressional seat

SENATOR Loren Legarda on Oct 17, 2018 filed her certificate of candidacy (COC) for representative of the lone district of Antique. On behalf of Legarda, who is at The Hague, Netherlands for the launch of the Ban Ki-moon and Bill Gates-led Global Commission on Adaptation where she is a Commissioner, Antique Governor Rhodora Cadiao filed […]

Veggies can be at ‘reasonable’ market price but…

By: Gail T. Momblan PRICES of vegetables in Iloilo markets are skyrocketing because only 15 percent are sourced from the province, the Panay Organic Planters Association (POPA) said. POPA said the remaining 85 percent are imported from Baguio, Bicol, Negros, among others. POPA member and Ephrathah Farm owner Engr. Eddie P. Cañuto explained why lettuce, for […]

POPA prepares for the 2nd agri-aqua forum

By Gail T. Momblan THE Panay Organic Producers Association (POPA) in partnership with the Provincial Government is gearing up for the second agri-aqua investment forum set on Nov. 7-9, 2018. POPA executive director Larry Nacionales, former regional director of the Department of Agriculture (DA)-6, said there are still available slots for interested participants. POPA expects […]

Mayor Espinosa slams critics on river project

By: Emme Rose Santiagudo THE Iloilo- Batiano River was sustained during his term. This was the reaction of Mayor Jose Espinosa III to criticisms that he only took over the Iloilo-Batiano River Rehabilitation Project from Mayor Jed Patrick Mabilog who initiated the project in 2011. “It started sa time ni Mayor Jed Mabilog pero ang sustainability […]