Marañon picks 5th district board member as vice guv

By: Dolly Yasa

BACOLOD City – Negros Occidental governor Alfredo Marañon Jr., has chosen Provincial Board member Dr. Melvin Ibanez as his vice gubernatorial candidate under the United Negros Alliance (UNA).

Both filed their certificates of candidacy together with other UNA provincial candidates yesterday.

The duo will be up against Nationalist People’s Coalition bets Vice Governor Genaro Alvarez for governor and former San Carlos City Mayor Eugenio Lacson as vice governor.

Candidates asked to file early today

By: Dolly Yasa

BACOLOD City – Atty. Jessie Suarez, Comelec provincial chairman, is asking candidates for the 2013 elections to file their certificate of candidacy (COC) early today, October 5, 2012,  last day of filing.

He also reminded candidates that the Comelec will be receiving the COCs only until 5pm.

“There will be no more midnight filing of COCs,” Suarez said.

He advised candidates not to wait for the last hour so that if there are lacking documents and requirements they will still have time to work on it.

More NPA rebs opt to live peacefully – Army

By: Dolly Yasa

BACOLOD City – With the military operations focusing on the armed component only of the insurgent group, the Army here continues to receive members of the New People’s Army (NPA) who choose to live a life of peace with the mainstream society.

According to Major Enrico Gil Ileto, 3rd ID spokesman, two members of the NPA chose to live a life outside the armed movement just recently.

Sandiganbayan suspends Ilog mayor, eight others

By: Dolly Yasa

BACOLOD City – Despite the 90-day suspension order issued by the Sandiganbayan against Ilog John Paul Alvarez, the chief executive filed his certificate of candidacy for vice mayor while his elder brother, former 6th district Rep. Genaro Rafael Alvarez, filed his COC for mayor in the same town October 3, 2012.

A copy of the suspension order issued by the Sandiganbayan Fifth Division dated September 21, 2012 was furnished to the local media by Philip Arles, son of slain judge, Henry Arles.

Pacquiao to fight in April 2013: report

FILIPINO ring icon Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao could be fighting again during the campaign period in next year’s elections.

Pacquiao’s promoter, Bob Arum of Top Rank, said that he has discussed with the “Fighting Congresman” a possible bout in April 2013.

Pacquiao is seeking reelection in the 2013 polls.

Cabrera gets Triple Crown; Yankees, A’s win divisions

NEW YORK – Detroit Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera became the first Triple Crown winner in 45 years, while the New York Yankees and Oakland Athletics claimed division titles on a wild final day to Major League Baseball’s regular season.

The end of MLB’s 162-game, six-month marathon produced special entries into the record books, as Cabrera ended the longest Triple Crown drought ever and postseason match-ups were finally settled in the first year of the double wildcards.

Murray mint in Tokyo demolition job

TOKYO – Defending champion Andy Murray overpowered Slovakia’s Lukas Lacko 6-1 6-2 to reach the quarterfinals of the Japan Open on Wednesday with all the panache of a grand slam winner.

The Olympic gold medalist, playing his first tournament since capturing his first grand slam title at last month’s U.S. Open, completed the rout in just 56 minutes.

“I started the match almost perfect,” Murray told reporters after stretching his winning streak to nine matches and setting up a quarterfinal with Switzerland’s Stanislas Wawrinka.

NBA Union protests league’s new flopping penalties

THE NATIONAL Basketball Players Association (NBPA) plans to file a grievance and unfair labor practice charge after the league announced an anti-flopping rule in a bid to curb the number of simulated fouls.

The NBPA’s decision was in response to the National Basketball Association (NBA) statement earlier on Wednesday (Tuesday, PHL time) that players who flop on the court in an effort to fool game referees into calling undeserved fouls on opposing players will be fined.