Peru’s electoral jury said on Monday it has rejected the latest pleas of right-wing Keiko Fujimori to avoid its electoral defeat and is preparing this week to declare the winner of an election in early June, which, according to a vote count, he said was socialist Pedro Castillo.
The announcement of the final result of the second round of elections was delayed due to hundreds of challenges and cancellations of votes submitted by Fujimori, especially from poor areas of the Andean country where Castillo won.
The National Elections Arbitration Commission (JNE) said on Twitter that it had unanimously declared the five appeals filed last week by the Fujimori People’s Power Party inadmissible, and from now on it would “proceed to prepare the Public Results Announcement Act”.
“In the same way, the JNE will proceed to the immediate organization of the ceremonies for the presentation of credentials for the corresponding presidential formula. The date for this ceremony is scheduled to be set this week,” the electoral jury said.
“In the same way, JNE will proceed to the immediate organization of the ceremonies for the presentation of credentials for the corresponding presidential formula. The date for this ceremony will be set this week,” the electoral jury said.
According to the June 6 vote count, Castillo, a 51-year-old rural schoolteacher, received 50.12% of the vote in the June 6 ballot versus 49.88% for the daughter of prisoner former President Alberto Fujimori.
The difference was only about 44,000 votes, but Fujimori’s party alleged irregularities in the electoral process and denounced fraud without other evidence.
The second election round was called into question by Fujimori and some of the right-wing parties who supported it, despite the fact that organizations such as the Organization of American States (OAS), the European Union, the US State Department, Canada, and the United Kingdom have stated, separately, that the elections in Peru It was transparent.
The announcement comes nearly a week after interim President Francisco Sagaste handed over power to a five-year government on July 28, when Peru celebrates two hundred years of its independence.
The electoral process and the narrow outcome have deeply divided Peru, and there have been rallies, some violent, in support of the candidates almost every day.
This will be Keiko Fujimori’s third electoral defeat, after losing the 2011 and 2016 elections. The politician is facing trial for money laundering after receiving alleged illegal campaign contributions from Brazilian construction company Odebrecht, a company implicated in corruption cases.
In the case, in which the governor denied the charges, the anti-corruption prosecutor asked for 30 years in prison.
Castillo, unknown to most residents until shortly before the elections, is seeking a new constitution that would give the state a greater role in the economy, a plan that has shaken the mining country’s political and business elite.