Worker killed in mall mishap set to work abroad

BACOLOD City – One of the construction workers killed when part of a mall undergoing construction collapsed last week was supposed to work in New Zealand.

Heracleo Abraham’s mother-in-law, Thelma Mahinay, told reporters here that Abraham was supposed to work as a steel man in New Zealand and has already secured his work visa.

Mahinay said Abraham left behind a wife and two small children.

Abraham’s mother-in-law also criticized the handling of the incident, saying she and her family rushed to Capitol Central mall but they were passed around by authorities as they tried to know what happened to their loved one.

She added they later knew that Abraham was already dead at the Corazon Locsin Montelibano Memorial Regional Hospital (CLMMRH).

Abraham and another construction worker identified as Doddy Boy Mallorca were killed after the scaffolding and beams they were working in collapsed Nov 11, 2017.

Abraham was killed on the spot after his head was crushed by debris, while Mallorca passed away while being rushed to the hospital.

Both Ayala Malls and the firm in charge of construction, Kuntel Construction have reached out to the victims’ families and they are set to receive financial assistance from the two companies.

The Department of Labor Employment (DOLE), meanwhile, issued a temporary work stoppage at the collapsed part of the mall while relevant authorities conduct an investigation.

Leave a Reply

*