Vice mayor, hubby send surrender feelers

(FROM RIGHT) Dr. Marichi Ramos, DILG Undersecretary Martin Diño, and Bacolod City Mayor Evelio Leonardia lead the soft opening of the pilot office of Mango eWallet at Bonifacio St, Bacolod City on Sept 5, 2018.

BACOLOD City – Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Undersecretary Martin Diño confirmed on Sept 5, 2018 that Vice Mayor Ella Garcia-Yulo of Moises Padilla, Negros Occidental and her husband Felix Mathias Segundo Yulo III will surrender anytime soon.

The Yulos are subjects of an arrest warrant for illegal possession of explosives and firearms.

But Diño refused to reveal when and where the couple will surrender due to security concerns.

Diño met with the vice mayor’s younger brother at a hotel here to discuss the couple’s surrender.

 

Nagpadala sila ng feelers to surrender kaya nakipag-coordinate agad ako,” Diño said.

 

He added that “the surrender feelers were made in Manila, so andito na ako and I am announcing  na this time DILG will take cognizance  at tsaka ang Volunteers against Crime and Corruption (VACC)  doon sa pagsurrender ni Vice Mayor.”

 

He added that the vice mayor can file a leave of absence in the meantime.

 

Diño said the Yulo couple sent the surrender feelers to him being the head of the VACC.

 

Andami ko nang na  handle na case na ganito dito sa Negros, pa-check natin yung case nila. Yung concern po natin yung safety nila,” he added.

Diño said he coordinated the couple’s surrender with PNP officials in the region.

Kaya ina-arrange na ang kanilang pag-surrender sa kay PNP Regional Director Chief Supt. John Bulalacao. But as to other details I cannot divulge to you dahil confidential yun para sa security ni vice mayor.”

He added that the VACC would look into the couple’s case after they cried foul over the manner of their arrest late last year.

The Yulos’ legal woes began when the Moises Padilla police led by Chief Inspector Allan Reloj seized grenades, guns, and suspected shabu inside the couple’s car during a police checkpoint in December 2017.

They were later charged for alleged violation of Republic Act (RA) 9516 (Illegal Possession of Explosives).

La Carlota City Regional Trial Court Branch 63 Judge Cyclamen Jison-Fernandez issued the arrest warrants against the couple on Aug 20, 2018.

The Yulos claimed that the police “planted” the explosives inside their car.

The court also ordered the couple’s arrest for violation of RA 10591 (Illegal Possession of Firearms and Ammunition).

The couple was spared from illegal drug charges after the suspected shabu seized from their vehicle turned out to be “fake” based on crime laboratory test results.

While the court recommended a P200,000 bail to each of the couple for the illegal gun possession case, they were not allowed to post bail for the explosives-related charge.

Leave a Reply

*