BACOLOD City – The number of “suspected” measles cases here has increased to 53, based on the latest monitoring conducted by the City Health Office (CHO) issued on Feb. 11, 2019.
Dr. Grace Tan, CHO Environment and Sanitation Division head, said the cases are all suspected as of the moment as they are still awaiting the results of confirmatory tests from the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine.
Tan said the most number of suspected measles cases in the city are from Barangays Taculing (7), Mansilingan (6), Bata (4), and Alijis (3).
By age group, the youngest patient is a three-month-old baby while the oldest is 45 years old.
The CHO recorded 263 cases last year, including two deaths.
“As of now we still do not have any deaths related to measles,” Tan added.
Following the declaration of Western Visayas experiencing a measles outbreak, the CHO has stepped up immunization in schools, barangays, and door-to-door.
The targets of the measles immunization are children six months to 12 months old.
The CHO has enough vaccines, and they have repeated their warnings that the illness will continue to spread unless the children are vaccinated.
Earlier, Bacolod City Councilor Em Ang met with CHO officials to discuss stepping up measures in response to the declaration.
The city official said the CHO and barangay health centers will strengthen their respective immunization campaigns, monitor for new cases, and carry out DOH orders calling on mothers and caregivers to be more vigilant when it comes to the disease.
The CHO will also be setting up a vaccination desk in order to provide city employees and healthcare personnel with immunizations.
The DOH in Western Visayas recorded a total of 104 measles cases, which attributed to three fatalities this year, as compared to 16 cases last year.