Capitol gives 220 sacks of
rice to Calinog fire victims
GOVERNOR Arthur Defensor turns over 220 sacks of rice to market vendors of Calinog public market which was gutted by fire last week in the presence of Calinog Mayor Alex Centena. (ECGarcia)
THE Iloilo Provincial Government turned over July 5, 2011 220 sacks of rice, worth P286,000, to the municipality of Calinog for the fire victims, mainly vendors at the Calinog public market.
Market vendors and stall owners gathered at the Calinog gymnasium to personally receive one sack of rice each from Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. assisted by Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office (PSWDO) chief Dr. Neneth Pador and Calinog Mayor Alex Centena.
Defensor said the rice assistance is just a temporary relief for the fire victims to alleviate their situation.
He also promised to help in the reconstruction of the Calinog public market together with Third District Rep. Arthur Defensor, Jr.
The PSWDO is also preparing the documents for the release of additional livelihood assistance for the fire victims.
Mayor Centena thanked Defensor and the provincial government for the help which is badly needed by his constituents.
He said the municipal government has allowed the temporary use of Roxas Street as venue for vendors who will not be charged with the regular fees.
Centena added they are also planning to provide the vendors with a soft loan ranging from P10,000 to P20,000 so they could start again their business.
The municipality of Calinog has been declared under a state of calamity after about 90 percent of its public market was razed by fire last June 30, 2011.
Some P200-million worth of properties were reported destroyed in a fire that started at an eatery and spread quickly because the nearby stalls were made of light materials. (ECGarcia/ Capitol News)