A year and a half ago, a dream was conceived to give the victims of Super Typhoon Yolanda (Internationally known Haiyan) hope for a better life. Today the dream has become a reality with the opening of the Greg Secker Foundation Village in Barangay Capinahan, Lemery in a 2-hectare lot donated by Rosario Sanico. A hundred family-beneficiaries moved into the village last January 5, 2018 with personalities like Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre and boxing champ Nonito Donaire welcoming them to their new homes. The project “Build a House, Build a Home, Restore the Community” is the brainchild of the Greg Secker Foundation.
Greg Secker Foundation (GSF) was founded by Greg Secker, an internationally renowned trader and public speaker who became a millionaire in his 20’s. Founded in 2016, the Greg Secker Foundation Philippines Inc. is a not-for-profit organisation committed to positively improving the quality of life of people in the Philippines. The vision of the Foundation is to build brighter future and sustainable communities for families affected by typhoon/ natural calamities. Its mission is to positively improve the quality of life of people in the Philippines by equipping them with essential tools of success to reach their full potential thereby transforming their lives and ultimately of their community.
The Foundation’s mission consists of five components, designed to provide assistance and affect positive transformation:
- Building Houses– building 100 houses and life support infrastructure deemed necessary to alleviate the way of life of family recipients.
- Building Homes– equipping families with life skills to family living and health care to increase resiliency.
- Education– providing children and young people with an open opportunity to reach their full potential for a brighter future, and also vocational training and development for adult beneficiaries
- Sustainable community by providing integrated rural development, economic and agricultural technology, and post harvest facilities, and empowering communities to be more resilient from natural disasters, seasonal changes, and global warming.
- Networking and Volunteer program by engaging with and recruiting individuals, institutions, civil society to contribute resources, talents, labour force and technology to enrich the village to reach its full potential.
With the opening of the GSF Village Phase One of the project is done. The Second Phase is sustaining the community by empowering the beneficiaries through support services and livelihood projects. An Entrepreneurs’ Academy will rise in the village in partnership with Central Philippine University (CPU).
A new journey, a new life has began for the victims of Yolanda and the Greg Secker Foundation is with them every step of the way to achieve their ultimate goal – improve the quality of their lives.
(photo credit: Handumanan Photography)