It increases the risk of monoxide poisoning in the United States after a power outage
United State- CNN reported that a giant winter storm caused ice and freezing temperatures in a wide area of the center of the country, also causing widespread blackouts, and local health officials issued new warnings on Monday about how to keep warm safely.
People who lose the ability to heat their homes may be tempted to turn on gas stoves or ovens, or grills, or ride cars to warm themselves. But according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 400 Americans die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning, and many have tried DIY solutions during power outages.
With more than 3.5 million customers without electricity in Texas and at least 572,941 customers without electricity in Oregon, Louisiana, Virginia and Mississippi, the risk is high.
The Louisiana Department of Health updated the warnings Monday.
“Portable generators should not be used indoors. This includes use in a garage, garage, basement, crawl space or other partially closed or enclosed areas, even those with ventilation.” Gas generators consume carbon monoxide and it is odorless and colorless. Inhaling carbon dioxide quickly can lead to complete disability or death. Opening windows or doors or using fans will not prevent the build-up of carbon dioxide. If you start to feel nauseous, dizzy, or weak during Use an electric generator, get out immediately. “
The CDC has a long list of risks. Carbon monoxide (CO) is found in the fumes that are produced every time the fuel is burned in cars, trucks, small engines, stoves, torches, grills, stoves, gas stoves, or ovens. “Carbon monoxide can build up indoors and poison the people and animals that breathe it,” the CDC says on its website.
“Do not drive a car or truck to a garage attached to your home, even if you leave the door open; burn anything in a stove or stove that does not have ventilation; heat your home with a gas oven; use a generator, charcoal grill, camping stove, or any other appliance that burns gasoline or Charcoal in your home, basement, garage, or outside 20 feet from a window, door, or ventilation hatch, “
The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, stomach upset, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. The symptoms of carbon monoxide are often described as “flu-like”. If you breathe in too much carbon monoxide, you could lose consciousness or kill you. People who sleep or are drunk can die from carbon monoxide poisoning before they develop symptoms. “
Every year, more than 400 Americans die of involuntary carbon dioxide poisoning not associated with a fire, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized.
“Travel enthusiast. Alcohol lover. Friendly entrepreneur. Coffeeaholic. Award-winning writer.”