By: Lyncen M. Fernandez
The University of the Philippines Visayas is holding the investiture ceremony of its new chancellor, Dr. Ricardo P. Babaran, today, August 29, 2018, at the University’s Little Theater, 3:30 p.m.
The UP Board of Regents appointed Babaran, the 10th Chancellor of UPV, on October 18, 2017.
He is a faculty member of the College of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences where he also earned his BS Fisheries degree. He graduated with the MS Engineering degree from the University of Washington and earned his Ph.D. in Fisheries Science at Kagoshima University in Japan.
Among others, the Chancellor has started steering the University towards the following agenda:
- strengthening academic programs
- strengthening institutional synergy with similar institutions for agriculture, and fisheries research and sustainability
- strengthening international institutional linkages
- integrating health and wellness agenda into the university’s operational policies to address apparently high incidence of cancer cases and other diseases among faculty and staff
- laying the groundwork for supporting the emerging bid of UPV Tacloban College to become the 9th constituent university of UP
- facilitating the constructions and renovations of various structures in UPV’s three campuses
Dr. Babaran assumed office on November 1, 2017 and is serving a three-year term.
CHED Chairman Prospero De Vera and UP President Danilo Concepcion will lead the investiture rites. The members of the UP Board of Regents, UP officials, SUC Presidents, Government Officials, faculty, staff students, alumni, fishers and various stakeholders, will attend the investiture. (https://www.upv.edu.ph/index.php/news/821-upv-sets-investiture-ceremony-of-chancellor-babaran)