Iloilo gears up for farm mechanization

Iloilo gears up for farm mechanization

By: TWVillavert

RICE farming in Iloilo province is expected to double in efficiency with the implementation of the government’s rice mechanization program.

Dr. Ildefonso T. Toledo, Iloilo Provincial Agriculture Office head, said multi-million peso worth of farm equipment like hand tractors, four-wheel drive tractors, threshers, combined harvesters and flat bed dryers will be extended to the farmers here under the rice mechanization program.

Toledo said farmer associations and members are qualified to avail of the program.

“A 70-30 enabling scheme will help push this rice mechanization program which is anchored on food security and self-sufficiency,” said Dr. Toledo.

The government will shoulder 70% of the equipment’s value, while the remaining 30% will be paid for by the farmer or farmers’ association.

 

“For example, 70% of the price of a hand tractor valued at P130,000 will be shouldered the government and that is around P91,000 and the 30% which is P39,000 will be paid by the recipient,” Toledo explained.

Iloilo province under the rice mechanization program is allotted 97 hand tractors; 5 four-wheel drive tractors; 32 threshers; 4 combined harvesters; 11 flatbed dryers; and 8 multi-purpose drying pavements.

Leave a Reply

*